for civil society
We, representatives of civil society and activists of the two countries have united with the
sole purpose of helping to achieve a peaceful resolution of the border conflict on the Kyrgyz-Tajik border of the Sughd and Batken regions and contribute to its peaceful settlement. Our appeal is based on the belief in the enduring, centuries-old friendship between our peoples and is guided by the hope for a peaceful and prosperous future of Central Asia.
We reaffirm our strong and comprehensive support for the immediate ceasefire policy by the governments of both countries and the settlement of the conflict on the Kyrgyz-Tajik border of the Sughd and Batken regions through diplomacy and a constructive negotiation process, in which we, as representatives of civil society, are ready to participate.
We condemn the dissemination of information and messages aimed at escalating the conflict, containing false facts, as well as calls for hatred and mobilization of the population of both countries for the purpose of aggressive actions against the peoples of Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan.
We condemn the use of the conflict by either side to create political destabilization within the countries and the region.
We call on all representatives of the civil society of the Kyrgyz Republic and the Republic of Tajikistan to join the consolidated actions for the peaceful resolution of the conflict to take immediate and long-term measures.
Thus, we propose the following recommendations:
Recommendations for immediate action by civil society in both countries:
● Create an expert group of representatives of civil society organizations, experts, journalists, civic activists of both countries to monitor the settlement process and results in order to increase the transparency, inclusiveness of the process and informing the population in order to prevent further escalation of the conflict and suppress provocative actions.
● Conduct daily monitoring of social networks in order to prevent the spread of hostile appeals, provocative, inaccurate and disinformation materials (including videos, posts, messages on social networks) that use the language of enmity and hatred. Prevent the
emergence and circulation of such materials by disseminating reliable information and joining the efforts of fact checkers of both countries to verify the information.
● To unite the efforts of the media representatives of Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan in order to provide reliable coverage of events in the border areas, observing the principles and
rules of coverage of border problems.
● In their countries, conduct information work with the population and with law enforcement agencies to prevent discrimination against ethnic Kyrgyz living in Tajikistan, as well as ethnic Tajiks living in Kyrgyzstan or citizens staying there for the purpose of training and doing business. We also consider it important to create a working group from among representatives of civil society organizations that work with various segments of the population to mobilize efforts to prevent discrimination or hostility towards ethnic Kyrgyz living in Tajikistan and ethnic Tajiks living in Kyrgyzstan.
Consolidate the efforts of representatives of civil society in both countries to quickly assess the humanitarian needs of persons evacuated from the civilian population, especially vulnerable groups — women, children, persons with disabilities, the elderly. Based on the assessment, mobilize (find) resources to provide the necessary food assistance, medical and psychological assistance.
● Create alternative messages and fill the information space with constructive materials, including on the values of peace and humanity.
Long-term conflict prevention mechanisms
● Establish civil society cooperation with border services of both countries in order to create sensitivity to the needs and requirements of different groups of local communities.
● Actively participate in the implementation of the national action plans of both countries on the implementation of UN Security Council Resolution 1325 (Women, Peace and Security).
● Engage the youth of countries in peacebuilding and conflict prevention
● Conduct joint research and analysis (monitoring) of the situation in order to develop recommendations for taking measures to prevent the risks
of conflict situations.
● Initiate and participate in independent international, national commissions to monitor the implementation of decisions and agreements, document conflicts and conduct their subsequent legal assessment.
We express our strong support for the development of long-term mechanisms to prevent and respond to conflicts in the border regions of Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan, and emphasize the important role of civil society in preventing the escalation of conflicts in the future and maintaining peace and security in our region.
We call on representatives of civil society who support the above ideas and are ready to contribute to their implementation, become part of this informal platform and join efforts for the sake of peace and development of our countries and Central Asia.
Each of you can become the peace builder and only together we can achieve success!
Peace and goodness to everyone!
Representatives of the civil society of the Kyrgyz Republic and the Republic of Tajikistan, who took part in the online meeting
on April 30, 2021.
For all questions, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org